Twenty-five days until Christmas and we cannot be more excited to share a wonderful fruitcake recipe for you and your family to try! During the holidays, Famous Foods has been a staple for many Vancouverites for their baking needs including the large variety of candied dried fruit we carry. Come on by for your holiday baking needs! Fruit Cake can be a tedious process, so let’s get started!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
200 grams unsalted butter
175 grams brown sugar
100 grams sultana raisins
100 grams currents
100 grams candied mixed peel
100 grams mixed red and green cherries
100 grams chopped dates
2 tbsp orange zest
150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp rum
2 tbsp molasses
220 grams all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground ginger powder
1 ½ cinnamon powder
3 large eggs
¼ cup vegetable oil or avocado oil
100 grams walnut halves
Orange flavoured Icing
1 cup icing sugar
2-3 tbsp whipping cream
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a 8x4 or loaf pan.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar, dried raisins, dates and candied fruit with orange juice and zest. Let mixture come to a light simmer for about 5 minutes until mixture is combined. After 5 minutes, remove from and heat and allow to cool to room temperature in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, siff together all dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, spices.
4. In a small mixing bowl whisk together oil and eggs.
5. Once cooled to room temperature, fold oil and egg mixture with the boiled fruit mixture until all combined.
6. Once all wet ingredients have been mixed, it’s time to fold the dry ingredients and walnuts. It is important to fold the dry into the wet just until no powdered flour is seen.
7. Pour final mixture into pan and bake for approximately 75-85 minutes. Please note bake time will vary based on oven. Continue to check cake with a toothpick or knife. Cake is fully cooked once toothpick or knife comes out clean.
1. In a stand mixer slowly whisk together icing sugar, orange juice and orange zest.
2. Once combined, add 1 tbsp of whipping cream until desired consistency.
3. Spread a thin or thick layer of icing ontop of
Hope you all enjoy this recipe! Happy Baking!